Based on James Cameron’s record-breaking movie Avatar, Disney has outdone itself with its newest land: Pandora. Also referred to by fans as Disney Avatar Land, it opened in mid-2017 and features some of the most incredible effects and rides Disney World has ever offered. It took three years to plan, three years to build, and guests can spend hours discovering it all.
There are two new attractions in Pandora
Disney World Avatar Land comes with two new attractions, both of which have been huge hits with guests. They are:
- Disney Avatar Flight of Passage. If you’ve ridden Epcot’s Soarin’ then you’ll be familiar with the basic technology behind Disney Avatar Flight of Passage. It’s essentially a simulator in which guests feel as though they’re riding a banshee through the mountains. With some of the most realistic effects every used in Disney World, it’s an attraction not to be missed.
- Na’vi River Journey. Disney WorldAvatar Flight of Passage is a thrilling ride within Pandora and Na’vi River Journey is a more laidback, relaxing option. This boat road takes guests through the Kasvapan River and shows off the natural fauna and flora located in Pandora. Effects used to make this all come to live include audio-animatronics and 3D holograms.
Restaurants and shopping in Pandora
Since Pandora is an entirely new land, there are of course a few new restaurants and shopping options.
- Satu’li Canteen. This quick-service restaurant offers some of the most adventurous food on Disney property, including breakfast bao buns, cheeseburger steamed pods, and crispy fried tofu. That said, it also includes the basic cheeseburgers and hot dogs that are tried and true favorites of many guests.
- Windtraders. The only retail shop in Pandora offers a wealth of new merchandise inspired by Avatar. The most popular purchase are Pandora’s dragons, which can be named and registered as official Avatar dragons.
- Pongu Pongu. Guests who just want a quick bite or a cold drink can stop by Pongu Pongu, a food and beverage stand. There are both specialty alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, along with Pongu Lumpia, an egg-roll style snack.
Pandora is an attraction in and of itself
While the attractions, food, drinks, and shopping offer plenty to do in Pandora, the truth is that it’s so expertly designed that simply being in the land is an attraction in and of itself. We recommend getting there as early as you can in the morning to avoid the lines. Walk through and notice all the details that are truly inspiring.
Then visit again right before you leave the park for the night. Why? Because the entire land is covered in a bioluminescence that glows incredibly at night.