If it’s your first visit to the Orlando area, then it may come as quite a surprise just how many different theme parks there are to visit. Many don’t realize that Disney and Universal are completely separate parks that are not affiliated. If you’ve been thinking, “I can’t wait to go to Disney to see the Harry Potter land!” then you’ll be disappointed to arrive and discover that there is no Harry Potter presence at Disney World.
The three types of people who should go to Universal
Neither Universal or Disney is better than the other for all people – it all depends on who’s in your group and what their priorities are. These three types of people are much more likely to love Universal than Disney.
- Superhero fans. Universal has many, many Marvel superhero crossovers. If you or a member of your party is interested in the Incredible Hulk, Captain America, or other superheroes / villains, then Universal is definitely a good choice.
- Fans of thrill rides. While Disney has a few thrill rides, those who are seeking super thrills will be much happier with the many intense roller coasters at Universal.
- Harry Potter fans. This one is a no-brainer. There are now two different Harry Potter lands, one at each of Universal’s parks, and they are truly awe-inspiring for anyone who loves these books and movies.
The three types of people who should go to Disney
Likewise, there are a few groups of people who are going to love going to Disney versus Universal. Let’s take a look.
- Foodies. If eating at delicious restaurants is a top priority for your vacation, then Disney is your top choice. There you’ll find literally hundreds of restaurants, some of which offer incredible cuisine that rivals some of the best in the world. Just be prepared to pay top dollar and to make reservations months in advance.
- Disney fanatics. Once again, this one is a no-brainer. If you’ve been in love with Disney princesses your entire life, or if you’re a huge Mickey Mouse or Goofy fan, then you won’t want to miss these characters and worlds come to life.
- Families with younger kids. As noted above, Universal has many more thrill rides, which are great choices for teenagers who want this excitement. However, for those with smaller children, or who are simply interested more in theming than thrill factor, Disney World is a great choice.
Either park is sure to create memories for you and your family that will last for many years to come. Just do a little homework and you’ll be well on your way to the trip of a lifetime.